Dust mites and their “debris” (gross, I know) are a major factor in causing allergic reactions in the home. In fact, they are the number 1 cause of Perennial Allergic Rhinitis (all year runny nose). While most may be aware of dust mites, you may not be aware of some amazing facts we have found out while developing this mattress. We thought we would share a few with you:
- We shed up to 3kg of skin each year- which means feeding time for dust mites.
- For that reason the average innerspring mattress (whew ours are foam!) can double in weight after 10 years of use.
- Dust mites produce about 1000 allergen waste partials in their lifetime. Which when the average for a male is 10-19 days means they are busy little creatures.
- Did you know a dust mite is not an insect? It is actually an arachnid and they have eight legs.
- If your children suffer from allergies it is not recommended that they sleep in bunk beds because the waste from the dust mites in the top bunk can filter to the bottom bunk. I knew there was a reason I always picked the top bunk as a kid!
- Even though dust mites are microscopic their debris is not and can greatly affect the air quality in the room they surround.
I bet right now you are as shocked as we were about this. This is the reason we have developed our mattress to eliminate these nasties from the bedroom. Our mattress are treated with Ultra-Fresh which has been scientifically proven to reduce allergic reactions caused by dust mites. Also, our open-celled, all foam mattress prevents the growth of bacteria, mould, fungi and colonies of dust mites, all of which have been linked to irritate allergies, asthma attacks and eczema. So you’ll be sleeping better in no time!